Saturday, May 12, 2007

Today this is enough. . .yesterday I wanted more.

When do you say "when?"

A few days ago I was feeling over-extended on the Slickrock Bike Trail. I was only on the stick of the lollipop and feeling very tired and challenged. I told myself I could turn around once I reached the place where the loop begins. I reached that place and collapsed onto the rock, sucking wind. I had just barely regained composure when I heard people coming up the trail. I nodded a 'hello' and attempted to hide the fact that I was gasping for air

While resting a whole series of thoughts went through my head. When I stood up I knew that I wasn't going to be turning around quite yet. It would be months before I would have another opportunity to ride this trail. Besides, I had only been riding for thirty minutes.

I mounted my bike and took off for several miles of steep climbs and descents. Once I was in motion on the candy portion of the lollipop I knew I wouldn't turn around. I had committed to push myself. I felt satisfied when I finished a couple of hours later. I knew that I would have been disappointed had I turned around and only completed the stick of the lollipop.

The next day I took a friend riding on a different trail. She told me that she was over extended. I sensed that if we continued it would put her in an uncomfortable place. I encouraged her to cut the ride a little shorter in an effort to encourage her to take care of herself. As I reflect upon the different choices I wonder. . . when is it right to push and when is it right to relax?

They are both valid actions. They each have potential rewards. When do you know which is right for you?

No comments: